Sonntag, 20. August 2017

[Review] [JOLSE] Olivarrier Dual Moist Toning Lotion 180ml review

 Hi pandas,

How are you doing? I know, I was gone for a long time again. This heat here in Japan is really getting to me. I think I might even had a slight heat stroke last week...
Anyways, I come bearing gifts today. Namely in the form of a new review!
A while ago Jolse was looking for people to test and review the Olivarrier Dual Moist Toning Lotion and I was one of the lucky winners!



What they say:
Deep moist, more fresh.
Toning lotion providing deep moisturization and healthy basic skincare by purifying the skin.

Ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Glycereth-26, Butylene Glycol, Squalne (Olive Squalane), Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Madeassoside, Allantoin, Arginine, Olea Europea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Ceramide NP, Olea Europea (Olive) Leaf Extract,, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Brassica Olearacea Italica (Broccoli) Extract, Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Soium Citrate, Disodium EDTA, Octyldodecanol, Dodecane, Isohexadecane, Isoeicosane, Octadecane, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Zanthoxylum Piperitum Fruit Extract, Pulsatilla Koreana Extract, Usnea Barata (Lichen) Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Citric Acid, Tetradecane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Linoleic Acid

Here is the cosdna analysis. Butylene Glycol, Squalane and the Olive Fruit Oil are marked as potential acne triggers. PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil and Tocopheryl Acetate are marked as slightly potentially unsafe. I did a quick google search for peg-60 hydrogenated castor oil and it is generally deemed to be safe to be used in skincare. Cosdna mentions that it could cause irritation on injured skin. No explanation for the safety rating of Tocopheryl Acetate on cosdna, google says it's a possible irritant and can cause allergic reactions.
Both ingredients are rather low on the ingredient list. However, if you had (allergic) reactions to these ingredients before or have very sensitive skin you might still want to proceed with caution.


This toning lotion is aimed at sensitive and dry skin to provide moisturization. At first glance this seems pretty much the opposite of my skin type and my usual skincare needs and expectations. So, how did this product work for my normal-combination skin?
I like to have simple steps in my routine as well. Even though my T-zone is oily (especially now in summer) and I fight pores, pimples and the such, moisturization is still a must for me. Toning is the one of the steps where I feel ingredients for oil-control, anti-aging, spot fading and other fancy effects are "wasted". I'd rather have these ingredients and acids in other products such as a serum or essence. For my toners I want to have it nice and simple. Some simple moisturization and a bit of a refreshing feeling at the beginning of my routine before I move on to more heavy-duty products.
I used the Muji Toner before which is also a very simple product and I enjoyed using it a lot. The Olivarrier Dual Moist Toning Lotion is definitely a step up but yet still simple.


Let's take a step back again and talk about the basic facts:
The packaging is very clean and simple. A white plastic bottle with a grey label on the front. Doesn't look cheap but also not too fancy. The paper packaging contains information about the product, how to use it and ingredients, both in English and Korean. You can rip the paper packaging apart and there's even more information on the inside (I might add a picture of that later). The paper is white like the bottle with black lettering.
The bottle is a dropper bottle that was sealed with aluminium foil. It dispenses the product very well.


The product itself is a clear liquid. It is a little bit more viscous than your usual liquid toner/water but still runny (as you can see in the picture).
Despite the slightly thicker texture it still absorbs very nicely and fast into the skin. I used the recommended method of application by pouring product on a cotton pad/ball and swiping my face. I can imagine it works very well when applied with hands as well, though.
The product has a very faint scent, although I cannot say what exactly it smells like. It is not strong and almost undetectable when applying the toner so even people with a sensitive nose should be fine.
Olivarrier claims this product has a pH of 5.5, which was true when I tested it with my pH strips. A pH level of around 5.5 is said to be the same as the natural pH level of the skin. Cleansing can oftentimes raise this pH level so having a toner after cleansing with low pH/ a pH balanced toner is always nice. It is not a must but if you are concerned about this, Olivarrier got you covered.


Now as you can see, not much visibly changed in the past 4 weeks that I was using this toner. I must admit that due to the heat I haven't been invested in doing long skincare routines as I was previously. It's just too hot, everything feels sticky and heavy and I just want to lie under the AC.
When I first tested out this product on the back of my hand I thought "Oh god, this is never gonna absorb, my skin will end up being an oil slick!". Thankfully these worries turned out to be ungrounded and the Olivarrier Dual Moist Toning Lotion played well with the rest of my summer routine. I have to be a bit cautious to not apply too much or otherwise it does take a while to absorb though.
Now, what has it done for me?
It is a moisturizing toner and my skin feels a bit more plump ever since I started using it. It is a simple product, it didn't break me out, it didn't irritate my skin or caused any redness. As my skin type is normal-combination I can't say how intense the moisturization actually is but just judging from the consistency and how it interacted with my skin (with a thin layer applied) I can imagine this might be really nice for people with dry skin.

My expectations were pretty low: basic toner. The Olivarrier Dual Moist Toning Lotion is exactly that and more. It is without frills or unnecessary fancy ingredients and provides moisture without being too heavy.
As it is still summer and hot here I'll probably go back to the Muji toner but I can't wait to try this in winter, I get the feeling this will safe my skin then!


Pros: simple packaging, didn't break me out, no irritation

Cons: might be too heavy for oily types

Overall: 4/5

You can get the product here at Jolse (no sponsored link)

1 Kommentar: