Montag, 29. Juni 2015

[Review] Etude House Color in Liquid Lips

Hey pandas,

how are you doing? I know, I  promised to update more regularly. Well sometimes things happen...in this case...life "^^

But of course I didn't forget about this blog and worked on a review of a product that I was really excited about.



What they say:
Color in Liquid Lips fills the lips with a light and smooth texture that slides onto lips for vivid color and a transparent shine.


Ingredients:
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Mica (CI 77019), Dicalcium Phosphate, Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Silica Silylate, Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Stearalkonium Hectorite, Diisostearyl Malate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Polyglyceryl-2 Diisostearate, Propylene Carbonate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Diglyceryl Sebacate/Isopalmitate, Methyl Hydrogenated Rosinate, Sorbitan Isostearate, Kaolin, Phytosteryl/Isostearyl/Cetyl/Stearyl/Behenyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Silica, Methicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Fragrance (Perfume), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 2 Lake (CI 45380), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985)

I did a cosdna analysis here and nothing flags red. Although I'm not that picky with lip products as I am with skincare.
I was (happily) surprised to see titanium oxide on this list though. But I doubt it's concentrated enough to provide real protection from the sun for your lips.






I was drawn to this product since "liquid lipsticks" are the latest thing and naturally I wanted to try one as well. The cute packaging helped as well.





The outer paper packaging has the same design as the actual product and represents the color of it. A really nice touch.
In my case, I chose the color PK004 which is a strong reddish pink. It is really a gorgeous color.




The actual product does indeed look like a typical lipstick. Since these type of products are becoming really popular lately (or they already are) I don't think this type of packaging comes as a surprise to anyone anymore.
The packaging is made out of plastic but doesn't look overly cheap. I like that the cap is white with a border of hearts and lips - again in the color of the product. It's cute and definitely fits Etude House's image.
I also like that you can directly see the color without having to open the packaging. Depending on how many lip products you own this comes really in handy.




When you unscrew the cap you find the typical lipgloss design with a doe foot applicator shaped like a tear. There is a little barrier thingie to prevent too much product coming out. As you can see in my case it got a bit smeary and dirty anyways but I don't mind too much.





The doe foot applicator is really nice, not too soft and not too stiff and makes applying the product really easy.

I was kinda surprised with the smell. In my mind I always associated sweet smells with Etude House lip products (and maybe with most Korean lip products). This however...it smells lipsticky?! At least not a sweet or really pleasant smell. It's also not bad and vanishes quite soon after applying it but I'm not a fan of this smell.




The color is a whole nother story. I love it. How much I love that color! It's not too pink but also not too red. And so vibrant and strong. Just...ah...love!
My camera sadly shows the color a bit more on the red side than it really is. In real life it's simply gorgeous.


bare lips



product applied


When applied it feels rather light but offers a great coverage - as you can see. So it definitely holds up to the promise of this product's idea: the coverage of a lipstick with the formula and feel of a lipgloss.
I do sometimes apply too much (sounds familiar? I seem to have a problem with applying too much when it comes to lip products...) and then it becomes messy, patchy and sticky. This is also not a very forgiving color. One mistake and you're busy rubbing the edges of your lips like a fool... If you want a 100% application you might want to clean the edges with a pencil brush.





Due to the formula being close to a lipgloss it also easily transfers and smears. Everywhere! The first time wearing it almost every 5 minutes one of my co-workers came and said "you have lipstick on your teeth/nose/cheek/hair/etc" (yes, it got on my nose and hair...no idea how I did that...). That was quite annoying. I like to apply a product and then not have to worry about it for a while. Having to worry about smearing/transfering my lipstick every minute is just too much...


after 3,5 hours


Now onto the point I like the least about this product: it doesn't last long. At all.
Between the full-face picture and this pictures lay 3,5 hours and one meal. And as you can see basically all of the color is gone. And not only that, while wearing off it leaves an ugly border...
While with products like the Aritaum Melting Tints I do not mind that much if they wear off rather quickly (I didn't expect it to last long and thanks to its lipbalmy character it's quite easy to reapply) I do with this product. I expected more. And with such a bright color it's very obvious when it fades. And the fading looks ugly. Unless you have time to check on your lips every hour or so and don't mind such an high-maintenance product I wouldn't recommend you this product. For me it will stay a product for occasions when I know I'll have time for regular touch-up or I will be done very quickly (fotoshoot or something like that).

I'm quite disappointed. Sadly. It's really a shame because I absolutely adore the color. I'm now waiting for two similar products from Peripera (hurry up, DHL!!), hopefully they'll be better...



Pros: lovely color, nice and cute design, great coverage, good applicator

Cons: slightly unpleasant smell, smears/transfers all over the place, wears off quickly and ugly



Overall: 2,5/5

2 Kommentare:

  1. This is the first time I read a not so positive review on the Etude House Color in Liquid Lips, thank you for your honesty. It is a very pretty color ♥ (one that catches my attention), but apparently has several disadvantages. How/What did you do to have it in your nose?! heheh Greetings!

    Dreamy sakura ~

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you for your comment =D
      I was told on reddit that maybe I did use a bit too much and should just apply a little bit and then spread it with my fingers. Nevertheless the application seems a bit of a hassle to me. I like lip products that are easy to apply more. I will test it some more with the different application method and then update this review but I'm not that hopeful.

      I have honestly no idea. My colleague was really surprised as well XD Maybe it got onto my hair and then on my nose?

      Löschen